1. Home
  2. DPH: EMS Vehicle Crash [Text-based]

How to report motor vehicle crashes to the Office of Emergency Medical Services and to the Registry of Motor Vehicles

Within 5 Days

  1. Complete and submit the latest operator's report of motor vehicle accident form to the Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV). Submit a copy of that report to the Office of Emergency Medical Services (OEMS).
  2. E-mail a serious incident report form to OEMS.SIR@state.ma.us.


  • For air ambulance (Class IV) crashes, complete and submit the approved report form to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
  • See the instructions on the RMV form for any other applicable entity that may require a copy.
  • If the accident resulted in patient injury and qualifies as a “serious incident,” also follow the instructions for reporting serious incidents. Only one serious incident report form would be required, but you may be required to submit a follow-up report.
  • Your local government (e.g. city, town) may require that you submit a copy of the report to them and/or may have additional reporting requirements.



Department of Public Health,
Office of Emergency Medical Services
99 Chauncy Street 11th Floor
Boston, Massachusetts 02111
Telephone: (617) 753-7300
Fax: (617) 753-7320

OEMS website

We hope these instructions helped you meet this reporting requirement. Be aware that this action may not fulfill all applicable reporting requirements associated with the event.

This document is intended for informational purposes only and does not constitute regulatory guidance or legal advice. Links and information in this document may be outdated. The Betsy Lehman Center does not represent or warrant that this information is accurate, complete, or current. For further terms and conditions, see the Terms of Use.