1. Home
  2. Elder Abuse

Elder abuse

Reporting to Elder Affairs

Who must report

Certain professionals are mandatory reporters, including:
  • Physicians, physician assistants, and medical interns
  • Osteopaths
  • Dentists
  • Nurses
  • Psychologists, family counselors and social workers
  • Physical therapists and occupational therapists
  • Osteopaths
  • Podiatrists
  • Emergency medical technicians
  • Coroners
  • Probation officers, police officers and firefighters
  • Directors of, and outreach workers employed by, a council on aging
  • Executive directors of a licensed home health agency, executive directors of a homemaker service agency, and managers of an assisted living residence

(This list only includes “mandatory reporters” that are subject to a fine for failure to report.)

What to report

Abuse of an individual 60 years of age or older, including
  • Physical abuse
  • Sexual abuse
  • Emotional abuse
  • Neglect by a caretaker (see glossary for definition of a caretaker in this context)
  • Financial exploitation, and
  • Self-neglect


  • Abuse that occurs in a nursing home, convalescent home, rest home, town infirmary, charitable home for the aged or an intermediate care facility for individuals with intellectual disabilities that should be reported to the Department of Public Health. See Abuse Against Patients.
  • Random crimes of violence that should be reported to the police.

How to report

  1. Immediately call the designated Elder Protective Services Agency or the statewide Elder Abuse Hotline (1-800-922-2275). To locate your local Elder Protective Services Agency, visit www.800ageinfo.com or call 1-800-AGE-INFO.
  2. Follow up within 48 hours with written report. Use Form 19A (below).



Contact information

Executive Office of Elder Affairs
One Ashburton Place, Rm 517
Boston, MA 02108-1618
Elder Abuse Hotline: 1-800-922-2275
Fax: 617-727-9368