1. Home
  2. Drug Diversion

Drug diversion

Reporting to the Department of Public Health and Drug Enforcement Administration

Massachusetts – Department of Public Health (DPH) Drug Control Program

Federal – Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)

Who must report

Any individual or facility registered with the Massachusetts Controlled Substances Registration (MCSR).Any individual or facility registered with the DEA.

What to report

Theft or loss of any controlled substances. Loss of one unit of medication may be significant enough. (Note: The Massachusetts definition of “controlled substances” includes Schedule VI prescription drugs, which are not included in the federal definition.)Theft or significant loss of any controlled substance.

How to report

Within 24 hours of discovery, fax a Drug Incident Report Form to the DPH Drug Control Program at (617) 753-8083.Report in writing within one business day of discovery to DEA, preferably by submitting the DEA Form 106 online. (If you are registered to distribute controlled substances, file a copy of the DEA Form 106 with the state police; if you are registered to dispense controlled substances, file a copy with both the state and local police.)




DPH Drug Control Program

99 Chauncy Street
Boston, MA 02111

250 Washington Street, 3rd Floor
Boston, MA 02108
(617) 973-0800


Drug Enforcement Administration, Office of Diversion Control

8701 Morrissette Drive
Springfield, VA 22152
For questions, contact the DEA’s New England Field Division at (617) 557-2100.